Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanksgiving Countdown: Weekend Recovery

Today is Monday and that means Weekend Recovery. For the list of additional chores go here, or here!

Because this is Thanksgiving week, I will be adding extra content everyday to help you get prepared for the holiday!

While you're washing your children's bedding, I always add to wash guest bedding if you had weekend visitors. This week, this chore is NOT optional. Even if you are not planning on an overnight visitor. Its the holidays, people drop by, and you never know when and if they may have that one glass of vino too many! Not only do I want you to wash sheets but wash up the comforter. AND, if you have a TV or phone in there, wipe down the remote and/or handset with and antibacterial wipe! You want to make that guest room cleanlier than a hotel room, dont you?

So, here is what Miss Suzy is doing today. I just put my turkey into the fridge to begin to thaw. If you haven't done that yet..than get to it! I am also going to be making my cranberry sauce because it's a recipe that needs to set for a couple of days to really meld together the great flavors. If you haven't thought of making your own cranberry sauce and always buy canned...please, try this recipe. It's super easy and will really WOW your guests!

Orange Cranberry Sauce
Serves 12 (with leftovers)

Ingredients:
4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (1lb. bag)
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup orange juice

Rinse the cranberries in a strainer and remove any stems or blemished cranberries.

In a sauce pan bring the water, sugar and orange juice to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Boil for 5 minutes to ensure that the sugar is completely dissolved. Continue to stir occasionally.

Add the cranberries and bring back to a boil. Cover for 5 minutes, still stirring occasionally. When you hear the cranberries beginning to pop, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Pour the cranberries into a container and allow to continue to cool completely before refrigerating.

Before storing in fridge, lay a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the cranberries to prevent them from developing a film.



I got the recipe from the Saving Dinner website last year when I was subscribed to their Menu Mailers. I have since not needed the Menu Mailers, but still plan to use the Thanksgiving Planner this year for my cranberries and for my dressing! If you are totally lost as to HOW to put together your Thanksgiving meal...I'd suggest printing this resource!

One last thing before I go. While I'm waiting on my cranberries to cool this afternoon. I am going to rearrange my living room furniture. Why? Because shortly after Thanksgiving we'll be buying our Christmas tree. And already having the furniture rearranged will be a huge timesaver that day, and will make it less stressful so we can concentrate on drinking cocoa, singing carols and putting the decorations on the tree!

No comments: